Thursday, September 22, 2011

3.5 Pounds of Coffee...

Today I worked on roasting a couple of orders for Fresh Roasted Single Origin coffee.  In all I had to roast 3.5 lbs. of ground coffee which means that I had to begin with 4.3 lbs. of green coffee beans. (Yes, coffee does lose 20% of its weight when it cooks.)  I really need to work on some things if I am going to proceed.


First, I need to work on becoming efficient in the process.  It took me 4.5 hours to roast, grind, & bag the order.  I seriously underestimated the labor when I determined the price.  I think I priced the labor at $4.00 per pound - go me, I was paid a whopping $14.00 for today's performance. ;-)


Second, I need to work on getting better ventilation in my kitchen.  At one point the house was so thick from smoke that you would have thought it was a VFW hall at Happy Hour.  Having all the windows open in the winter is not going to cut it so I need to figure something out.


Third, I need to learn to train my children and then trust them to help.  They want to be a part of this but I keep seeing images of coffee grounds getting spilled on the ground and the shrinkage of my product increasing.  Yes, I know that I am a control-freak and I need to get over it.  I think I need some therapy.


On another note.  Someone found the easter-egg on www.anchorbayroasts.com today.  This is the first and only person this month who has found it so unless someone else does the drawing for the FREE coffee will be easy.  If you want to look its somewhere on the very first page.

No comments: