Thursday, July 17, 2008

All Part of the Experience

I have become aware that I have made some mistakes that will necessitate that I re-roast and re-evaluate the coffees that I have already sampled. This affects the Flores Bajawa, Finca San Jose, Washed Bourbon, and Harar Horse coffees. which I will add addendums to as I re-sample the beans.

The mistakes?

First, I used to little ground in my pots of coffee. I used 1oz. of grounds to a 12 cup pot which is simply diluting the coffee too much to get the real essence of the bean. Second, I did not grind the beans enough. I need to sample a finely (Turkish) ground bean as this allows the flavor to be quickly extracted by the hot water of my coffee maker. A peculator or French press can use a more course ground simply because it has the luxury of time to adequately wash over the grounds. And lastly (at least for now) the first of the beans that I roasted was brewed with tap water where filtered water certainly enhances the flavor.

So, there are the three mistakes that I can and will remedy. I am informed that using a burr grinder (rather than my blade grinder) will enhance the flavor of my coffees as well but for the price of a burr grinder I will just have to suffer. Anyway, I will add an addendum to the posts that exist as soon as I get back to to them.

No comments: