Friday, February 24, 2012


Jeep C-J5

I was just 3-feet away from plowing my dad's Jeep into the living room of our house when I was 14 years old - I was learning how to drive a stick shift.  Dad said "Just give it gas and drop the clutch."  I did and if I had not jammed on the break when I had I would have been watching Cheers on the television from the comfort of my canvass seat.  I eventually learned how to properly judge the drive engagement with the feel of the clutch and proper engine RPM's and I became pretty good at getting that old Jeep to respond to my driving desires - well as good as a Jeep could I guess.

Ford F-150
A few year later a friend of mine had a work horse of a truck that had a three-on-a-tree manual transmission system.  The clutch was sloppy and had what seemed a 15-inch reach before it was engaged.  I think this allowed for any farmer to pull his trailer of corn or hay.  I am glad I learned how to drive the thing but I found that I easily tired just working the mechanics of the drive sysytem.

Porsche 911
Then one day in my 20's a friend of mine had a Porsche 911 that he wanted to sell and I took it for a test drive.  Wow!  What a difference.  The clutch moved about 3-inches engaging easily and quickly but it took a precise foot to feel the power and make the car dance - And oh-boy how it danced!  This precision vehicle begged to be driven.  The clutch system demanded respect and the steering system was precise as it ordered the road to bow at ever turn.  As I glided through the twisty road I was very aware how this driving experience was so much better than my dad's Jeep or my friend's truck.  The Jeep and the truck required mere drivers while the Porsche demanded a driving enthusiast.  

It is interesting that I am reminded of this experience as I am roasting the Yemen Mocca Matari for people because the people that are tasting the Fresh-Roasted Yemen are experiencing the difference between driving a Jeep and making a Porsche dance.  

When you taste the Yemen you cannot help but smell the strong aroma of cocoa - not sweet-cocoa like a Hersey bar but soft-cocoa like the homemade chocolate pudding your grandma used to make on the stove-top.  When you sip this cup the flavor is very balanced and smooth without any of the bitterness that is known in standard issue coffees.  The flavor in this brew presents smooth and it finishes clean leaving just a hint of the mocha flavor  that is characteristic to the Yemen region coffees.  Yes, this coffee will immediately inform you that you are a coffee enthusiast and not just a mere drinker.

I presently (2/24/12) have 25-12 Cup pots of this premium coffee in stock - at just $4.00 a pot which means that the Yemen will practically drive out of the burlap that it is in.  If you want the experience of a real coffee enthusiast be sure to contact me as I will be roasting again next Wednesday.

~John

No comments: